Sql 2008 Express x64 Version

Mar 22, 2009 at 5:57 PM
We're running SQL 2008 Express on a Windows 2003 R2x64.  Does the Standalone SQL Agent run in x64 mode?
Coordinator
Sep 8, 2009 at 2:53 AM

Sorry, I didn't see the comment until now.  The installers are currently build with an x86 installer only.  It can be run on an x64 machine without issue.  Once a production build is ready it'll be released in all formats.  You can download the source and recompile an x64 build without issue.

Sep 12, 2011 at 2:17 AM

Hi Denny,

I have a SQL Express 2008 R2 (64 bit) on a 64 bit OS, can i use this on 64 bit verson now? Also, i want to do schedule backups, index maintenance jobs, and all other regular DB maintenance jobs. Does this Agent, will help to take care of these?

Thank you and look forward hearing from you.

Coordinator
Sep 12, 2011 at 5:43 PM

achapagai,

You can install it on an x64 machine without issue.  It is a 32bit process, but it will connect to a 64bit instance of SQL Server without a problem.  It currently only supports T/SQL jobs, so you can't use the SQL Server maintenance plans (mostly because SQL Express doesn't support them at all).  So as long as you are ok with writing T/SQL maintenance jobs to handle the work (there are lots of examples on the net) it'll work just fine.

Denny